Wednesday, July 7, 2010

AAAAAHHHHHH!!


The event set refuses to be finished.


I've messed up the saddle twice now. TWO TIMES I've had to re-do something. First it was the seat. After the glue dried I looked at it closely and realized the cantle was twisted. It's pretty easy to do because I "eyeball it" with this tree. Proof that I should make a resin tree of my own. In that pic, you can clearly see the crooked cantle. I peeled it off the tree and thought it was funny that it held it's shape so well afterwards.

Then it was FINISHED. Really. A fully complete saddle, save one thing. The keepers for the stirrup leathers don't have placement marks on most of my patterns. Sheer laziness that I haven't dealt with that. I usually decide on the placement *after* the thing is finished and I'm putting on the stirrups. It's akward to do it then... So, I'm cutting the slots to pass the keepers thru to the back of the flap, and I cut one side BACKWARDS. If it wasn't so embarassing, I'd take a photo.

I had to rip apart a completed saddle for ONE small but unfixable mistake. 99% of it came apart neatly, only one piece was hopelesly destroyed, but I expected that. The knee pads and the front piping came off as a unit which was fun to do. The flaps have been cut out and dyed again. I just hope I can get this all finished and MOVE ON.

I did move to another project in the mean time. I have to get my mojo back, I've got to make tack for myself for NAN. I tried a novel idea, tag teaming two saddles at once. It's working out rather well, assembling 2 at once. They are the same saddle in different sizes. I've worked each one out to the same stage, sealed them and then move on to a different set of parts. One is a little ahead of the other after last night. It was getting late and I stopped before I screwed something else up.


2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! I have made that same mistake with the stirrup leather keepers. And you're right, it's totally unfixable. Ugh!

    I find working on a pair of saddles to be highly efficient but also mind numbing. It takes *forever* to move from one stage to the next when you have to do everything twice. Sometimes I can make myself do it, sometimes I can't...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have thought the same thing, but it really worked for me. I worked to certain points on each and placed them aside to let the glue set. That also helps keep me from moving too fast and loosening not-quite-ready parts.

    It's very satisfying right now to see two finished saddles rubber band-ed to body horses.

    ReplyDelete