Tuesday, June 22, 2010

About "my" patterns

Two semi related topics today. Would be messy for one post alone.

Yes, I do use, in part, Kerioke patterns for saddle making. Carrie Olguin is a master pattern maker. I am not. I'm pretty good at re-shaping her patterns to suit new styles and various desires. I'm more than happy to pay Carrie for her time in creating patterns I can then further manipulate.

On the left is my notebook of patterns in sheet protectors, on the right is a copy of Carrie's 4 sidesaddle patterns. Typically, I will sell off a book once I've more or less mastered a pattern, but this will be staying for a while. I have yet to attack the western patterns. May never happen as I still don't know how to tool leather!


Carrie's method of pattern transfer is simple and very effective. Copy a pattern to paper, rub a glue stick to the reverse, then apply the pattern to the flesh side of the leather. I like using the 3M brand "restickable" glue stick. Easy to pull the paper off, even days later! This method allows for easy "scaling" of the pattern to the various scales of models.


This is a pic of a page of Carrie's originals (left) and my altered pieces. I actually need to do some work on my pages, I've changed a few more things that I actually have to hand draw every time. Most of the significant alterations are to the saddle flaps.
Next, all about the alterations!


No comments:

Post a Comment