Thursday, July 8, 2010

Back on track








Tell ya what, it feels great to be back in a groove. Getting those 2 saddles banged out got me out of that rut.





I like to try new things. Some are just utter FAILures. Then once in a while, I hit on something that *really* works.




There is a style of double bridle that uses a single buckle at the crown to adjust the curb bit. There are no buckles for that bit, only for the bradoon, cavesson and of course the throatlatch. I decided to give it a whirl for a bridle for myself for NAN.




><>As I mulled the general concept, I realized this was a way to simplify putting a bridle on a model. In full scale, it goes on exactly the same way as a bridle without the buckle at the crown. But for this one, I took it a step further and "fixed" the straps for the cavesson and the bradoon to the crown piece. The end result is that the bridle can be taken on and off with that crown buckle and that's all! Once it's on, just wax the bits in place and DONE.




Here it is laid out on the bench, crown open. Yes, this does mean that a bridle like this is going to fit a limited number of heads, perhaps even only one model. But the reduction in wear and tear on the leather and my precious sanity, that's worth it!!




The only mistake I made is that the buckle on my references goes the other way. Small matter.



I tried to get a link for the reference, but the Euro-American Saddlery website is not likeing me tonight. The Passier "Rome" double bridle is the inspiration. http://www.eurosaddlery.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment